Thursday, April 1, 2010

Salami & Sardines

My Famous Deli Sandwich #1


Memories of life at home are the most enduring ones we have. Our parents did things for our souls which we can never forget. Family traditions are built and passed on from generation to generation – Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving and often just everyday life’s routines.

Sandwiches have always been one of my passions. Why limit yourself to one type of primary ingredient or flavor, I thought, when you can have it all in one bite after another. When my oldest daughter was young (perhaps 10 or 12), and all 3 children were in the kitchen, I said one day, “Hey, want to have one of my world famous Dagwoods? The best damn sandwiches in town…!” I always used expletives.

They had no clue what was coming, of course, but my enthusiasm just overwhelmed them and we were, all of us, caught up in the excitement – perhaps frenzy – of what was about to be invented. They didn’t know; I did not either.

We had wonderful rye, French, Italian or fresh sesame buns to die for available from local bakeries or small food stores. Out came the bread. The children were instructed to get ingredients they liked from the refrigerator – salami, cheese, lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, mustard, ham, turkey...There was never a shortage of these sinful delectables.

“You forgot one of the most important ingredients of all,” I said. “Get that fresh can of sardines.” All three rushed toward the refrigerator – my son was victorious. To this day, he loves sardines and will bring over a can, every so often.

As they watched me carefully deliberate the order and amount of things, their mouths began to water, as did mine. I began to hum; they began to hum. We all harmonized. Then my youngest daughter blurted out, “Hey, Dad, I’ll get the plates.” My son got the glasses. My oldest daughter yelled, “I’ll pour the milk…!”

I carefully sliced the sandwiches. Their mother thought we were insane, but then I had to quickly make another one. We all hummed and yummed…Oh, what a feast it was. From that day forward, often my children would ask me to make a "world famous” Dagwood, when they dropped over at my house, unexpectedly. Which one, really didn't matter.

Yesterday, 20 years later, my youngest daughter proclaimed through Messenger, “Hey, Dad, you know what I want, right now?” "No," I said "what?" ...“One of your Dagwoods.”

Life is good.

************************************************************

Ok, stand in front of the kitchen window (that’s right, I said stand in front of the kitchen window)…
Lean forward on the counter with both arms to the side, relax and take a deep breath, exhale…ahhhhh.
Close your eyes and think about the great sandwich you are about to make – oh, the taste of it! This is not just a meal, but an affair with life...!

Start humming or whistle a favorite tune. Better yet, play a little of Simon & Garfunkel "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" (sing at the top of your lungs) or Simon's "Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes" (let those hips and shoulders move).



Ingredients

• 2 slices of Rye Bread
• 2 leaves of lettuce of your choice
• 1 teaspoon of Mayonnaise
• 2 slices of tomato
• 1 teaspoon of Creamy White Horseradish
• 1 slice of Muenster Cheese
• 1 slice of Swiss Cheese
• 2 slices of Hard Salami
• 1 slice of Turkey
• 2 Small Sardines from Olive Oil
• A squirt of Yellow Mustard
• 1 paper thin Slice of Yellow or White Onion
• A sprinkle to taste of Salt & Pepper
• A good sprinkle of Italian Seasoning

Preparation

1. Start with a slice of bread
2. lay a nice lettuce leaf on the slice
3. Spread your mayonnaise onto the lettuce
4. Cap with 2 slices of tomato
5. Spread the creamy white horseradish
6. Lay the muenster, the swiss and salami respectively
7. Place a slice of turkey on the salami
8. With love, place 2 small sardines from olive oil on the turkey
9. Squeeze a small sine-wave of yellow mustard across the sardines
10. Place a thin slice of onion next
11. Sprinkle sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
12. Cover with 2nd lettuce leaf
13. Top with Slice of Rye

Grab a Soda of your choice with a quarter slice of squeezed Lime...

If this is your main meal of the day at lunch time, eat the whole damn thing! Otherwise, eat only half and save the other to be enjoyed at dinner time with a phenomenal bowl of homemade soup!

Also, don't forget...get your butt off the couch and exercise your heart for 1 hour. Burn 400+ calories. You can survive without "House" or "The Unit."

ENJOY...Damn, that's a good one...!!! 

Guten Appetit, und Laß es Dir schmecken...!
...

No comments:

Post a Comment