Monday, February 15, 2010

Barley Potato & Kielbasa Soup

Yield: Serves 4

I also enjoy this soup with different sausages, depending upon the mood I’m in – try sweet, mild or hot Italian, high quality German brats, Knackwurst (oh, my, is that good…!) or, in a desperate pinch, juicy jumbo Vienna hot dogs (not bad).

If I’m in a “European” mood and there is some hot Bach playing, I’ll go for the “Knacks” every time. God forbid some gypsy music is on the radio – I’ll kick up the volume, throw in a variety of meats (whatever the hell I can find that strikes me) and let the hips move and the Cabernet flow…

OK...The truth be told, I'm in a Sarah McLachlan mood. Live with it...!
I love the delicate, fragile and velvet voice, the emotions and soul you can see and feel in her expressions...Damn, what a raw exposure and beautifully revealed, without fear...! Kielbasa will never be the same.

Dear Sarah, I apologize – this belongs with something more romantic…Filet Mignon for Two…

This is the type of song that shuts me down and makes me take stock of my life - what I have accomplished, what it all means, and what there is that has meaning in the universe. Thank you Sarah.




Oh, Palease…! Stop complaining about how delicious this is…you will feel magnificent and nourished, after your 1 hour walk. Uhlala…!

Guten Appetit...!

************************************************************

Ingredients

• ¼ cup pearled barley
• 6 cups of water
• 3 chicken bouillon – Knorr
• 4 small red boiling potatoes
• 1 large celery stick sliced
• 1 large carrot peeled and sliced
• 1 medium yellow onion – chopped
• 1 tblsp split peas
• ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
• 1 smoked Kielbasa sausage

Preparation

Cook the Barley

• In a 3 qt. pot, bring 6 cups of water to boil, add bouillon
• Add barley and split peas
• Partially cover pot and medium simmer for 45 minutes – until barley is tender

Prepare the Vegetables

• After 45 minutes of broth simmer…
• Add quartered potatoes, sliced celery, carrots, chopped onions and pepper
• Add kielbasa – slices should be ½ inch wide

Boil & Serve the Soup

• Bring to boil, cover pot, reduce heat to medium simmer – 15 minutes
• Potatoes should be firm and done, vegetables should be crisp and flavorful
• Serve a cup (well, maybe a little more). Salt and pepper to taste.

Notes
Adding vegetables late will preserve their flavors and not leach into the broth.

Laß es Dir schmecken...!

2 comments:

  1. I want some! It is cruel and unusual punishment to dangle these goodies in front of us! I don't want to make it, I want to eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy I can smell it through my computer! Yummm!

    ReplyDelete